StayAlert - Orcas Island Project Objectives
1) Collect and filter Emergency Alert messages without dependence on local Internet connections
2) From Mt Constitution, broadcast the Alert messages throughout the San Juan County (Pop 18,557) and & Whatcom County (Pop 228,831) using high power FM transmitters (63,000 watts) and online via OrcasRadio.org.
3) Provide community centers with StayAlert data receivers that relay the messages to the general public via an assortment of devices and displays.
The StayAlert team collaborated with NPR Labs to assist hard of hearing and deaf people in 26 Gulf radio markets.
Our first project links Seattle broadcast signals to Orcas Island, part of the San Juan Island Archipelago.
1) The StayAlert systems gather Emergency Alerts, and insert the data into the subcarrier of the Seattle 100,000 watt signals.
2 ) This Alert data is received on Orcas Island’s Mt Constitution by our local broadcast partner Crista Media’s 106.5 KWPZ
3) From Mt Constitution, the Alert data is re-broadcast on KWPZ’s 63,000 watt signal. More than enough signal strength to reach all of the Islands and east to Whatcom County.
4) Data receivers process the data & display it at key public locations, on PC’s and car radio dashboards.
5) The Alerts are also relayed to OrcasRadio.org & OrcasTV.